42 Pantry Essentials is the eighth post in my ongoing series of household lists. The purpose of these lists is two-fold: to get me to make my own personal household inventory for emergency preparedness reasons and to provide readers with FREE printables for their own personal use in updating their own household inventories! I figure since I’m doing this for me, I’ll do it for you too!
If you haven’t yet read the other 7 earlier posts in this series, I encourage you to take a few minutes and catch up (see links at the end of this post). With fires still burning across the West, maybe you know someone who knows someone who knows someone that can benefit from these lists OR maybe you just want to consider creating your own emergency preparedness plan and need some help in getting started. Well, I can help with that! In addition to these lists, check out my Emergency Planning Checklist.
And, besides, if you check your pantry to make sure that you have all or most of these items, cooking and baking will be easier for you! You won’t have to run to the store to make most recipes!
As I’ve shared before, we lost our home in the 2007 San Diego County Wildfire known as the Witch Fire. So, I’ve been there, done that. “Been there” because we were NOT prepared and “done that” because we had to start from scratch. In the process, we learned much and if I can help others avoid some of the stress and anxiety we went through, in creating a household inventory for an insurance company, that would make me happy!
So, here’s a list of 42 Pantry Essentials (the FREE printable can be accessed at the end of this post):
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar: light and dark
- Powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Olive oil
- Vinegar: distilled white, red wine, balsamic, rice wine, apple cider
- Baking chocolate
- Chocolate chips: semi-sweet, milk, white, butterscotch
- Bread crumbs: panko, Italian
- Peanut butter: smooth & crunchy
- Corn syrup
- Potatoes: russet, red, Yukon gold, sweet, yams, etc.
- Onions: white, yellow, red
- Rice: white, brown, jasmine, basmati
- Pasta: spaghetti, macaroni, rigatoni, penne, etc.
- Jarred salsa
- Dried fruits: raisins, currents, etc.
- Oatmeal and plain corn flakes
- Tea bags – various
- Jarred spaghetti sauce
- Canned tuna
- Cocoa powder
- A box of yellow cake mix
- Vanilla extract & other extracts
- Nuts: walnuts, pine nuts, pecans, sliced almonds
- Garlic bulbs
- Canned tomatoes: whole, diced, paste
- Canned cream soups
- Canned and/or dried beans
- Dry red wine, cooking sherry, Marsala wine, rum, brandy
- Broth or stock in cartons: chicken, beef, vegetable
- Canned milk: evaporated and sweetened condensed
- Crackers: saltines, buttery, wheat (for snacks & toppings)
And, here’s your FREE printable: TS4T Checklist – 42 Pantry Essentials
Here’s a another picture of one of my pantry shelves. See my tube of Vegemite, my gift from Vanessa from Australia? You can read all about Vanessa and her trip to visit me and Tiffany in the posts listed below. Here’s a “shout out” to Vanessa: “No, Vanessa, I don’t have Vegemite listed as a pantry essential in my list of 42! But, be sure to add it to yours! Hugs!”
And here’s a picture of my messy pantry – just thought I’d share that I, too, have much work to do around my house to be better organized! Notice the Bundt pan in the bottom right corner? This is the missing Bundt pan from my post, The Leprechaun Cake Wreck Caper. Still in my pantry; still not put back where it belongs and that was in March!
Stay tuned for future lists; there is much, much more to come!
(other list of 42 household items)
- 42 Kitchen Basics for Your New Home
- 42 Grilling Accessories and Supplies for Outdoor Cooking
- 42 Cooking Essentials for a Well-stocked Kitchen
- 42 Must Have Kitchen Utensils
- 42 Baking Essentials
- 42 Nice-to-Have Kitchen Supplies and Equipment
- 42 Spices to Have on Hand
(other lists of 42)
- 42 San Diego Museums, 28 Days and Half Off
- 42 San Diego Restaurants to Savor
- 42 Shades of Red
- 42 Things to Do at the San Diego Zoo
- 42 Things to do in San Diego
- 42 Ways to Help You Child at School
- 42 Ways to Say I Love You on Valentine’s Day
(a few of the 20 posts about the loss of our home in the fire)
- Any Way the Wind Blows
- The Valley That Time Forgot
- Eye of the Storm
- The Backup Plan
- Emergency Planning Checklist
- Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
- What’s in Your First Aid Kit?
- The Fire Drill
(a few posts about Vanessa)
- Barefoot with Friends and Vanessa’s Pavlova
- Bloggy Boot Camp Revealed
- Toot Sweet 4 Two Turns One: Blog-o-versary Party Recap
- Vanessa’s Rainbow, Tim Tam and Vegemite