Now that Thanksgiving is over, it’s time to decorate for Christmas and put your Thanksgiving decorations away until next year!
If you decorate for seasonal holidays, chances are that over time, you will collect quite a bit of stuff! When compiling a household inventory list, it is easy to overlook seasonal items that are usually packed away in storage and brought out once a year. This list of 42 Thanksgiving Items for Your Home is meant to work as a “reminder” to jog your memory should the need arise to create a household inventory or simply to use as a checklist for your holiday decorating.
If this is the first time you’ve read one of my lists of 42, here’s an update of what these are all about: we lost our home to wildfire in 2007. As part of the insurance claim settlement process, we had to submit a personal property inventory to our insurance carrier. This list had to include everything “down to the last toothpick” and took me nine months to complete and was 165 Excel pages long!
So, I’m working on creating my own personal property inventory for my new home and thought I would share my lists with readers of this blog. With natural disasters occurring all too frequently, it is my hope that these lists become a tool for others should the need arise. So, even if you don’t need these lists now, or ever, adding them to a household organizational binder couldn’t hurt!
When skimming down through the list below, you may wonder what I mean by certain things. For example, “Food Products”. What do I mean by that? Do you brine your turkey? If so, do you buy a certain brining mix? Do you buy boxed mixes of special items that you don’t keep on hand on a regular basis, such as a pumpkin bread mix, stuffing mix, specialty sauces and jellies? Do you have fall-inspired decorative sprinkles for cupcakes? Our house burned at the end of October and we were decorating for a Halloween party. How many “Food Products” did I have on hand in that moment that I wouldn’t normally have in my pantry or refrigerator?
What about “Specialty Bakeware”? Do you have a special pie plate that you use only around this time of year? Or a loaf pan with pumpkins carved in it that stays in a cupboard the majority of the time? And, “Specialty Cookware” – do you have a turkey fryer? Not something that you keep on your countertop all year long! And, “Specialty Cooking Accessories” – do you have leaf-shaped or turkey cookie cutters? Turkey lifters? A baster that sits in the drawer 95% of the time?
Maybe you have a pumpkin-shaped basket that you use to serve dinner rolls. Or pumpkin-shaped placemats. Or napkins with leaves and acorns embroidered on them. Or a beautiful fall-inspired table runner. Pumpkin-scented candles. Or, even orange-colored candles, tea lights, votives, etc. Do you have a fall wreath that gets packed away right after Thanksgiving so that you can hang your Christmas wreath? Do you have a turkey platter with a turkey as decoration that goes back on the shelf in your storage until next year? Do you have autumn-inspired decorative pillows for your living room that get put away to make room for Christmas ones? Or Fall Fairies like my Maeve pictured below?
Maeve is one of five Fall Fairies that I’ve collected from the grocery store over the last couple of years. Yep; the grocery store! She’s my favorite, but you can see 3 of the others in my post The Month in Review – November 2012.
Do you have a pumpkin or turkey soup tureen? Orange vases? Leaf garlands for tables or draping doorways? Outdoor flags that announce the season and welcome your guests? Do your children have Thanksgiving-inspired toys, books, CDs, DVDs that are forgotten about 11 months out of the year? And, cookbooks – do you have a holiday cookbook or two that stay on the shelf hidden away until the season commences? Maybe you have beautiful glassware with painted leaves that you only use on your Thanksgiving holiday table!
Just in the picture above, there are 8 different Thanksgiving/Autumn-themed things: placemats, paper napkins, decorative ribbon, glitter pumpkins, turkey salt and pepper shakers, Thanksgiving crackers, orange paper treat bags and glittery acorn place card holders. I could go on-and-on, but you get the picture! It’s amazing how much seasonal decorative stuff one can collect in a lifetime or a short time!
- Extra tables and chairs
- Tablecloths, runners, placemats
- Napkins, napkin rings
- Place cards, place card holders
- Candles, candle holders, lanterns
- Vases, centerpieces, decorative containers
- Wreaths, swags, door hangers
- Cornucopia, artificial trees
- Mantle displays
- Sprays, floral stems, bundles, picks
- Garland, streamers
- Banners, posters, signs
- Flags, windsocks
- Scatter, confetti
- Party crackers/poppers
- Baskets, trays, boxes
- Invitations, note cards
- Gift/treat boxes, favor bags
- Wall and window decorations
- Paper lanterns and fans
- Potpourri, bowl fillers, sprays, diffusers
- Ribbons and bows
- Ornaments and other decorations
- Turkeys, Pilgrims, Scarecrows
- Crafts and craft supplies
- Doormat, outdoor décor
- Pine cones, Indian corn, acorns, pumpkins, gourds
- Chargers and dinner plates
- Dessert and salad plates
- Drinkware and coasters
- Kitchen linens and aprons
- Bathroom linens
- Specialty cookware
- Specialty bakeware
- Specialty cooking accessories
- Specialty food products and candy
- Decorative pillows
- Toys, CDs, DVDs
- Books, journals, cookbooks
If you’ve missed any of the last 15 household inventory list (yes, unbelievably, this is number 16!), here’s your chance to get caught up. Just click on the links provided below. Each includes a FREE printable checklist. And, here’s your FREE printable checklist for today: TS4T Checklist – 42 Thanksgiving Items for Your Home.
(other lists of 42 inventory items)
- 42 Kitchen Basics for Your New Home
- 42 Grilling Accessories and Supplies for Outdoor Cooking
- 42 Cooking Essentials for a Well-stocked Kitchen
- 42 Must Have Kitchen Utensils
- 42 Baking Essentials
- 42 Nice-to-Have Kitchen Supplies and Equipment
- 42 Spices to Have on Hand
- 42 Pantry Essentials
- 42 Refrigerator Essentials
- 42 Freezer Essentials
- 42 Nice-to-Have Kitchen Gadgets
- 42 More Nice-to-Have Kitchen Gadgets
- 42 Even More Kitchen Gadgets
- 42 Still Even More Kitchen Gadgets
- 42 Furniture and Fixtures in Your Kitchen
(other lists of 42)
- 42 Deals to Look for on Black Friday
- 42 San Diego Museums, 28 Days, Half Off
- 42 San Diego Restaurants to Savor
- 42 Shades of Orange
- 42 Shades of Red
- 42 Things to Do at the San Diego Zoo
- 42 Things to Do in San Diego
- 42 Ways to Help Your Child at School
- 42 Ways to Say I Love You on Valentine’s Day