Whether you have an elaborate home office library or a space under your stairs or in a spare closet, it is easy to end up with 42 things in your home office and library! In the photo below, which is just a portion of my desk in my home office area, here’s what you see:
- Part of my desk
- Decorative white birds
- One of my father’s sculptures (yellow)
- A framed photo of the Princesses P
- A plant in a planter
- A piggy bank
- An iron bird feeder used for paperclips
- A decorative Oriental screen
- A decorative box used to store office supplies
- Peacock photo holder holding a photo of our old house that we lost in the fire
- An hourglass (behind the peacock)
- A framed photo of me as a baby with my parents
- A green ceramic jar with a bird on the lid
Fifteen things, in this small little area, that you can see plus things you can’t see inside the decorative box or the green ceramic jar – just in this one photo! Here are some close-ups of some of my favorite things – a small representation of 42 Things in Your Home Office and Library:
I think I have a thing for birds, don’t you? But, even though I love them, I don’t have any. Because I have Coco (my cat). I had a pair of love birds for one day, but that’s a story for another day: the time I mistakenly brought home love birds in a cage thinking they would be okay with our cats (we had two cats at the time, Tin Man and Dorothy). I’ll share that story another day…don’t worry, it has a happy ending!
But, I digress…
Sometimes the universe works in mysterious way. I had this list of 42 in draft form, picking away at all the things in a home office and library when voilà, Pinterest sent me an email on Wednesday titled “Tips for Your Home Office”.
Now how weird is that?
It had links to 10 different boards that they recommended I might follow. So, using Pinterest as inspiration, and the boards they sent to me, I was able to finish this list of 42 Things in Your Home Office and Library without too much effort! Strangely, I haven’t been pinning office supplies and furniture to my Pinterest boards lately! Hmmm….
Love that Pinterest! And, love when the stars align and the universe helps me out!
As always, there is a FREE printable at the end of this post so that readers can print and add this list to their emergency planning binder or household inventory binder.
Brief explanation about my lists of 42: we lost our home in the 2007 Southern California wildfire known as the Witch Fire. In the process of settling our insurance claim, I spent 9 months creating our household inventory list from memory. In other words, I had not created a list prior to our loss nor had I photographed our contents. So, I’m making one now, for our new home and contents, and thought I’d share with readers just in case readers either want to be pro-active in their own planning or have suffered a loss and need help now.
Here’s the list of 42 Things in Your Home Office and Library:
- Office desk, work table
- Bookshelves, ledges, wall hooks
- Books, book ends
- Office chair(s), stool
- Guest chair(s), ottoman
- Sofa, chaise, bench
- Pillows, throws
- Rugs, chair and floor mats
- End table(s), coffee table
- Filing cabinet(s)
- Desktop hard drive and monitor
- Laptop, tablet, tablet stand
- Printer, copier, fax machine
- Modem, router
- External hard drive
- Mouse and keyboard
- Computer speakers & webcam
- Computer supplies
- Printer supplies
- Desk accessories: desk pad, name plate, desktop organizer, business card holder, in-and-out boxes
- TV, DVD/CD player, cable box, etc.
- Computer cables, USB cables, etc.
- Decorative knick-knacks
- Art work, photos and frames
- Plants and decorative planters
- Ceiling fan, lamps – floor, table
- Light bulbs and electric cords
- Draperies, rods, brackets
- Window blinds, shutters, shades
- Office supplies (see future post for details)
- Paper supplies (see future post for details)
- Telephone, answering machine
- Calculator, label maker, desk fan
- Important papers (see future post for details)
- Magazines, holders, racks, baskets
- Clocks and mirrors
- Waste basket, paper shredder
- Storage bins, baskets, boxes
- Briefcase, messenger bag, totes
- Calendar, monthly planners
- Bulletin board, cork board, chalk board, white board, magnetic board, peg board plus things on those boards
And, here’s your FREE printable checklist: TS4T Checklist – 42 Things in Your Home Office and Library.
Can you believe all the stuff in a home office and/or library? Imagine that – 42 Things in Your Home Office and Library…
(other lists of 42)
NOTE: this list is not all inclusive! Refer to our Archives – By Category section for all currently available lists!
- 42 Baking Essentials
- 42 Grilling Accessories and Supplies for Outdoor Cooking
- 42 Kitchen Basics for Your New Home
- 42 Nice-to-Have Kitchen Gadgets
- 42 St. Patrick’s Decorations in Your Home
- 42 Things in Your Laundry Room
(other posts about emergency planning and preparedness)
- 14 Human Needs
- Blackout: are you Ready?
- Emergency Planning Checklist
- Pet Owners: are you Ready?
- Resolve to Be Ready 2014
- Wildfire Season: Are You Ready?