This Avocado Nut Sandwich is a decadent, delicious sandwich full of creamy goodness and the crunch of walnuts. It’s highly satisfying and, I’m sure, high in calories!
California avocado season runs from March through September. Did you know that 90% of the avocados available in the United States are grown in California?
So, since it is avocado season and avocados are in abundance here, I thought I’d share my absolute, all-time favorite avocado sandwich! Created by my father, Chuck, every time I make it, I think of him (I miss him so).
If you are on a diet, this sandwich is NOT for you! But, if you want a special treat, this yummy combination of flavors will leave you wanting to make it again…and again…and again. The secret is using a really delicious bread. In my area of the country, we have Vons grocery stores that carry the Safeway brand. Safeway makes a delicious “Nut and Grain” bread that suits this sandwich quite well, marrying the nuttiness of the bread with the walnuts in the sandwich. Plus, it gives you an extra fiber boost.
Seriously, if you ARE watching your weight or dieting, try this sandwich anyway. Leave off the mayo or use less mayo. Use half of the avocado (in other words, use only a quarter of an avocado), but spread it around so that every mouthful gets a bunch of creamy goodness. Also, you can cut the amount of walnuts that you use. In other words, it’s the combination of the avocado, alfalfa sprouts, walnuts and smoky flavor gouda cheese (and mayo!) on really good bread that makes this sandwich special.
Gather your ingredients.
Pick a really good, nutty whole grain bread.
Slather it with mayo!
Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and slice the avocado lengthwise in slices. I think I need to invest in a new chopping board for my vegetables! This one is looking pretty sad!
Remove the avocado from its shell with a spoon and smear it on one slice of bread.
Top with a generous portion of fresh alfalfa sprouts.
Chop the walnuts and place a handful on one slice of bread on top of the mayonnaise, so the walnuts will stick.
Add a slice of Gouda cheese.
Finished sandwich! YUM!
Close-up of sliced sandwich showing layers of yummy goodness!
And, a final close-up! Enjoy!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled and slice lengthwise
- 8 slices favorite multi-grain sandwich bread
- Mayonnaise to taste
- 1 package fresh alfalfa sprouts
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 slices of Gouda cheese
- Spread each slice of bread with mayonnaise.
- Divide sliced avocado among 4 slices of bread.
- Top with alfalfa sprouts.
- Cover remaining 4 slices of bread with chopped walnuts.
- Place a slice of Gouda cheese on top of chopped walnuts.
- Place the alfalfa/avocado side on top of the Gouda cheese and walnut side.
- Slice and serve.
P.S. Forgive the blurry photos! Sandwich made and photographed with my iPhone prior to receiving my new fancy, dancy camera from my hubby! Haven’t made this sandwich for awhile (remember, it’s a “treat” because I’m sure it’s loaded with calories!), so I didn’t retake the photos!
(other sandwich recipes)
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Spicy Coleslaw
- BBQ Turkey & Grilled Cheddar Cheese
- Chicken and Arugula Open-faced Sandwiches
- Classic Egg Salad
- Crunchy Tuna Salad
- Doctored Hamburgers
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken Salad
- Pink Fairy Turkey Roll-ups
- Spinach Tortillas
- Stacked Reuben Sandwich
- Sweetheart Toasted Sausage Sammies
- The Best BLT Sandwiches
- Traditional Chicken Salad with Currants and Walnuts