I bet Bacon Jalapeno Chutney Quesadillas aren’t something you saw coming! I mean, really, isn’t this combination a little extreme? But, if you’ve checked out my Bacon Jalapeno Chutney post from last week, you’re probably wondering what you would do with it, besides eating it by the spoonful! As a condiment, there really isn’t a limitation on what to do with it – you are only limited by your imagination!
Bacon Jalapeno Chutney Quesadillas aren’t exactly a unique recipe created by me. Years and years ago, in one of Martha Stewart’s old shows, before her current daytime format, she had an episode about outdoor grilling and made 3 different kinds of quesadillas on the grill. One of them combined Major Grey’s chutney with a mild white cheese (don’t remember the type). I tried all 3 and the chutney one was my favorite. So, I’ve made them many times over the years with Major Grey’s chutney and mozzarella cheese. She has lots of recipes on the current incarnation of her website, but for whatever reason, she doesn’t have that particular chutney/cheese quesadilla recipe from so many years ago.
As for the “white” cheese, I don’t remember if she used mozzarella, Monterrey jack, brie, white cheddar, etc. What I do know is that I prefer these quesadillas with mozzarella because its mild flavor doesn’t compete with the sweet and spicy Bacon Jalapeno Chutney, letting each shine. Plus, mozzarella melts so deliciously stringy and gooey! If you live in an area of the country where Mexican food products are in abundance, you can substitute the mozzarella for Oaxaca part skim milk cheese, which is a very similar cheese.
Here’s the recipe:
- 12 snack-size flour tortillas (about 4 and a half inches in diameter)
- ½ cup Bacon Jalapeno Chutney (see recipe)
- 6 slices thick-sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese or Oaxaca part-skim milk cheese
- Sour cream (for garnish)
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Place 6 flour tortillas on a heated grill or grill pan.
- Divide chutney evenly on each and spread with the back of a spoon.
- Add cheese on top of chutney, dividing evenly among the 6 tortillas.
- Add bacon on top of the cheese, dividing equally.
- Top with the other 6 flour tortillas.
- Turn grill on to medium heat and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes until cheese is melted and grill marks appear.
- Using a spatula, carefully turn each quesadilla over and cook for a few minutes more until grill marks appear and quesadilla is crispy.
- Remove to chopping board and cut each quesadilla into 4 quarters.
- Serve with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
(other appetizer recipes)
- Bacon Jalapeno Chutney
- Bacon Jalapeno Chutney Bites
- Bruschetta Lentil Dip
- Chicken Pesto Parmesan Pinwheels
- Cranberry Pecan Crunch
- Dorothy’s Stuffed Mushrooms
- Easy Caprese Skewers
- Easy Homemade Salsa
- Easy Olive, Cheese and Summer Sausage Skewers
- Golden Leprechaun Bites
- Hot Mexican Corn Dip
- Lady Dip
- Linda’s Cheese Ball
- Lite Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Pink Fairy Turkey Roll-ups
- Sweet and Spicy Leprechaun Cheese Spread
- Velvety Mushroom Crab Dip