Beef Pot Roast is a very hearty meal, perfect for a night you are feeling like you need comfort food, or on a crisp, cool fall evening. What’s even better is the fact that you make it in the slow cooker so you also get to enjoy the delicious aroma that fills the air almost from the moment it gets in that slow cooker!
This is a variation on the traditional recipe of a beef pot roast; now and then I like to be adventurous and change things up a bit. So here it is, the raved about Beef Pot Roast with Onions, Oregano and Potatoes. (We even had an unexpected dinner guest and he loved it too!) Only a few ingredients needed to make this one-pot wonder!
- Note: After I had snapped the picture above and started putting the ingredients into the slow cooker, I decided “Why not add potatoes and make it a one-pot meal?” So, just imagine four small russet potatoes and about 1/4 cup red wine in this ingredient photo…I also decided that wine makes everything better so why not add some to this?? Anyway, spray slow cooker with cooking spray. I use olive oil in my Misto.
- Cut two small onions into eight wedges. Cube four small potatoes. Place onions and potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and half of the oregano.
- Place roast on top of the onions and potatoes. Sprinkle the remaining oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Uncover to add the last minute 1/4 cup of red wine.
Directions on how to make the delicious gravy pictured are in the recipe below. Enjoy!
Do you have a variation on the traditional pot roast? Please share with us by leaving a comment, it’s always fun to try something new!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 boneless beef round tip roast (2 pounds)
- 2 small onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 4 small russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Spray 5-6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray or with your Misto.
- Place onions and potatoes in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of each the dried oregano, salt and pepper; drizzle with olive oil.
- Place beef on top of the onions and potatoes
- Sprinkle with remaining oregano, salt and pepper; drizzle with olive oil
- Pour 1/4 cup red wine into slow cooker (optional)
- Cover and cook on Low heat setting for 6-8 hours
- Remove beef from slow cooker to cutting board; cover to keep warm.
- Strain onions and potatoes over a 2 quart saucepan; reserve onions and potatoes
- In a small bowl, stir flour and water until blended well; stir into liquid in saucepan
- Cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until gravy is thickened and bubbly
- Cut beef into slices, serve with onions and potatoes. Top with gravy.