What is it about Caprese anything that we all love? Savory cheese, the burst of fresh tomatoes combined with the earthiness of fresh basil make for a deliciously satisfying sumthin’ sumthin’! I came across these tiny (4-inch diameter) flatbreads and thought they’d make a great little appetizer. Voila’ – Caprese Flatbread with Balsamic Reduction was born!
First, I brushed the top of each flatbread with olive oil. Then, drizzled the reduced balsamic vinegar over the top. By reducing balsamic vinegar over the stovetop, it intensifies the sweetness, leaving a thick, sticky, gooey sauce perfect for drizzling. I’m including this photo of the finished balsamic vinegar so that you can see how thick it is.
Next, add pieces of sundried tomatoes over the balsamic vinegar drizzle. Then, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese, top with both red and yellow cherry tomatoes and finish with torn basil.
Into a pre-heated 400 degree F oven for 5 to 8 minutes and you are done!
Delicious Caprese Flatbread with Balsamic Reduction is ready to serve. If you cut these little cuties into six wedges, you can serve them as appetizer nibbles (you’ll have 18 wedges that way). But, of course, I just ate the whole thing and didn’t share with anyone. I can be a piggie like that!
Caprese Flatbread with Balsamic Reduction are sweet little treasures, perfect for snacking or eat several for lunch! It’s like a delicious “bread salad” in your mouth!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 package (6 to a pack) oven-baked mini (4" diameter) garlic-flavored flatbreads
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar, reduced on stovetop to ¼ cup
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 18 yellow and red cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place flatbread on baking tray and brush each with olive oil.
- Add balsamic vinegar to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vinegar is reduced to ¼ cup and is thick and sticky.
- Drizzle sticky balsamic vinegar over each flatbread.
- Add bits of sundried tomatoes to each.
- Sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese.
- Add 6 tomato halves to each (3 yellow and 3 red).
- Sprinkle with torn basil.
- Place in pre-heated oven for 5 to 8 minutes until cheese is melted.
(other flatbread dishes)
- Sweet Onion, Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Flatbread Pizza
- Thai Turkey Flatbread Pizza
- Fright Night Pizzas