There were two types of recipes we never had for dinner while I was growing up (and I think my siblings will agree): meatloaf and casseroles. My parents told us that they used to have meatloaf and casseroles all the time as children and they didn’t like them, so they weren’t going to make them! But, my Dad and Mom always made these hamburgers that they called “Doctored Hamburgers.” It wasn’t until I was an adult, out in the world on my own and having to cook for myself that I finally figured out (duh!) that my parents’ “Doctored Hamburgers” were mini-meatloaves!
Anyway, while I make standard meatloaf on a fairly regular basis (because I like it and Charlie likes it and I LOVE meatloaf sandwiches), I also like to make these “Doctored Hamburgers.” It brings back fond childhood memories, plus they are delicious!
Here’s what you do:
- Gather your ingredients to make Doctored Hamburgers.
- Two cloves of garlic.
- Peel, smash and finely dice the two cloves of garlic.
- Chop the onion.
- Place your hamburger in a mixing bowl and add the chopped onion.
- Add garlic to hamburger and onion.
- Add an egg to the hamburger, onion and garlic.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Add crushed saltine crackers.
- Squish everything together with your hands and divide into 4 to 6 blobs.
- Flatten into 4 to 6 equal patties.
- Place flattened patties in sauté pan and cook on medium heat.
- 6 patties cooking.
- Turn them over once browned.
When patties are nicely browned on the bottom, turn them over to brown the other side. If your patties are thick, you may need to “steam” them to get them cooked through (unless you like them medium or medium-rare). Cook until a nice brown crust appears on the underside, add about a 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook for a few minutes more. This steaming method will cook them completely.
- If desired, add the cheese of your choice – this is Provolone.
- If desired, add American cheese (on the 6-patty example).
- Melted Provolone cheese – do you think I melted it a wee bit much?
Plated Doctored Hamburgers with melted American cheese.
Doctored Hamburger with mustard, mayonnaise and Provolone cheese – YUM!
A plateful of Doctored Hamburgers.
Doctored Hamburger with American Cheese, mustard, mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato – the perfect All-American burger!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 15 saltine crackers
- 4 to 6 slices of favorite cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup water (for steaming)
- 4 to 6 hamburger buns of your choice
- Condiments such as: mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles
- Place the hamburger, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, egg and crackers in a mixing bowl.
- Carefully combine ingredients using clean hands; don't over mix.
- Shape into 4 to 6 evenly shaped hamburger patties.
- Place in a non-stick skillet.
- Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn patties over and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add ¼ cup of water and cover to steam for a few minutes until cooked through.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each to melt.
- Remove from skillet, place on bun, pass the condiments and serve.