Today I’m feeling a little blah so I wasn’t feeling like anything sounded very good for dinner, but the family has to eat so…
I have some leftover rotisserie chicken, but my brain is just not coming up with anything. So I do what I always do when I can’t seem to think of anything good…ask Carole! She says:
“Noodles or rice, white sauce (made from scratch), chicken, peas and crunched up potato chips on top and bake for 20.” Sounds yum! Of course I’ve never made a white sauce from scratch so Auntie Carole comes to the rescue again…
“White sauce – melt 4 T butter add 4 T flour and stir for a few minutes to get rid of flour taste. Slowly add 2 cups milk and stir until thickened. This is basic white sauce, or béchamel sauce as chefs call it – cheap and easy. Add a little salt, pepper, garlic, etc. to spice it up.”
So I make this basic white sauce and add some garlic and sharp cheddar cheese! Oh my yumminess! Next…no peas of course, but I have broccoli so that will have to do. Next, no potato chips. Hmmmmm…French fried onions sound like they will be delish! Oh, look bacon!
Finished meal was a family hit that should be shared, now to come up with a name…Easy Chicken Noodle Bake works. Not as imaginative as “Silly Summer Spaghetti,” but I am feeling blah today!
So, with Carole’s guidance, I’ve created a one dish meal that only took about 40 minutes start to finish and semi healthy too!!
This is a good recipe that relies on pre-cooked chicken. You can poach chicken ahead of time (see Poached Chicken Breast Tenders) or use a purchased rotisserie chicken. Quick and delicious!
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 cups penne pasta, cooked per package instructions and drained
- 8 ounces frozen broccoli, cooked per package instructions
- 2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- 12 ounces of French Fried onion rings
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- If not already made ahead of time, cook pasta according to package instructions and drain.
- Also, cook broccoli in the microwave per package directions and drain.
- And, cook bacon in microwave and crumble.
- Make white sauce (béchamel): in large pot, melt butter.
- Add flour all at once and stir constantly until it makes a thick paste (don’t let this brown), about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and continue stirring until sauce is thick and no lumps remain. Add 1 cup cheese and stir until melted and combined.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add cooked pasta, broccoli, bacon and chicken to the white sauce in the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour into 9” x 13” baking pan.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes; add French Fried onions, return to oven and bake for 5 minutes more.
Easy Chicken Noodle Bake out of the oven and ready to serve!
Easy Chicken Noodle Bake – a plateful of cheesy, chicken goodness!
This recipe is featured on All Free Casserole Recipes’ site! Check it out: Easy Chicken Noodle Bake.
(other casserole recipes)
- Baked Mac & Cheese with a Crunchy Sourdough Topping
- Charlie’s Layered Mexican Casserole
- Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Bake
- Garden Vegetable Tuna Casserole
- Kathy’s 16-Layer Lasagna
- Southwest Tamale Pie
- Spinach Casserole