Easy Olive, Cheese and Summer Sausage Skewers are a great way to use food items from a Christmas gift basket! And, as a “man-friendly” recipe, it’s guaranteed to be a welcomed addition to a sports-themed party (Super Bowl anyone?).
While I use Summer Sausage in this recipe, any sausage that is thinly sliced will do.
- Make them “olive pizza bites” by substituting pepperoni slices and mozzarella cheese.
- Use salami with a white cheddar.
- Use prosciutto with a chunk of provolone.
- Or if olives aren’t a favorite, substitute a cherry tomato.
The key is to use 2 to 3 flavorful ingredients for a pretty and colorful presentation. The possibilities are endless. The added bonus is that you can make them ahead of time, cover them with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator until ready to use. I made these a day ahead of the Easy Appetizer Party for a Crowd and they were perfect. The rest of the party menu included these recipes:
In addition, I served a shrimp platter purchased from our local grocery store, Little Smokies sausages with mustard, ketchup and barbecue sauce for dipping, assorted cheeses and summer sausage, olives, sweet and dill pickles, assorted crackers and cream cheese with jalapeno pepper jelly (delicious)! An easy and successful party for a crowd!
Here’s the recipe:
- 12 green olives with pimentos
- 12 black olives
- 12 cubes of cheddar cheese
- 12 cubes of gouda cheese
- 24 thin slices of summer sausage
- Place an olive on a toothpick and move to center of toothpick.
- Take a piece of summer sausage and fold it into 4ths.
- Add the sausage to the olive on the toothpick.
- Add a cube of cheese and press skewer on cutting board to stabilize all ingredients so that they will stand upright.
- Serve immediately or place in a dish and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.