My sister, Gail, makes the best guacamole. None of us seem to be able to recreate her guacamole recipe exactly unless she is standing over us, giving us specific instructions. One of those times, when my brother and his family from New York were visiting, she painstakingly taught our young niece, Molly, to make this guacamole recipe so that Molly could be the East Coast family guacamole expert! From that moment on, we have christened this recipe “GuacaMolly” in her honor.
To start, gather your ingredients: tomatoes, lime, cilantro, salsa, garlic salt and, of course, avocados!
Slice through the avocados, around the pit with a knife and twist sliced avocado with both hands to open. Carefully remove pits with knife; reserve one pit. While still in the shell, slice avocado vertically then horizontally, making scores. Scoop out pulp with spoon, transferring chunks of avocado to mixing bowl.
Next, dice tomato into small chunks. Finely mice cilantro leaves with knife or cut with scissors; reserve a few leaves for garnish. Place all chopped ingredients into mixing bowl. Add salsa, garlic salt and lime and mash together with masher. Leave a few chunks for texture unless you want perfectly smooth GuacaMolly!
Photo above is Molly learning to make GuacaMolly from her aunt, Gail.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and cubed (reserve one pit)
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro, finely diced (about ½ of a bunch)
- ¼ cup of favorite salsa
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- ¼ lime
- Tortilla Chips
- Mash avocados in bowl, either with a fork or potato masher.
- Don't over mash; leaving chunks is part of the appeal of GuacaMolly.
- Add tomato, cilantro, salsa and garlic salt and gently combine.
- Squeeze with ¼ lime to prevent browning; also adding pit to bowl will help keep it from turning brown.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
(other Mexican-inspired recipes)
- Charlie’s Layered Mexican Casserole
- Charlie’s Lite Layered Mexican Casserole
- Cheesy Mexican Omelet
- Ensalada de Nopales
- Hot Mexican Corn Dip
- Lite Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Mini Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Rosa’s Caramel Flan
- Rosa’s Pork Posole
- Shrimp Soft Tacos
- Southwest Tamale Pie
- Spicy Crock Pot Chili