In honor of the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day celebration, I thought I’d give you a rainbow in the form of a recipe for Irish Rainbow Country Potatoes! Food rainbows are everywhere on Pinterest right now and I don’t want to be left out of the rainbow celebration! But I didn’t want to do what’s already been done and re-done and done again, so came up with this recipe.
Plus, potatoes go hand-in-hand with all things Irish/American – after all, because of the Great Potato Famine of the 1850’s, more than 1 million Irish people immigrated to the United States to escape the famine. Anyway, back to my Irish Rainbow Country Potatoes…
I didn’t set out to actually create this recipe in my head and then grocery shop for it. Instead, I knew I had purple potatoes in my pantry and then decided to see what other vegetables I had on hand that would create a rainbow. Lucky for me, I had green, red, orange and yellow bell peppers plus onions and regular russet potatoes and knew I could create country potatoes with those basic ingredients.
It didn’t take long to throw it together…
Gather your vegetables including garlic.
Scrub your potatoes, poke each with a knife and microwave on high for 1 minute each (I used 8 potatoes and cooked them in the microwave 4 at a time – the four purple ones together for 4 minutes and the 4 russet potatoes together for 4 minutes).
Chop your vegetables into chunks and mince your garlic. Then make a rainbow!
Add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a non-stick skillet and heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add all of your vegetables and garlic at once. Sauté on medium-high for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until potatoes are fork tender, but not mush! Add more olive oil as needed to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan. Also, while sautéing, add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to serving bowl and serve with ketchup, sour cream, salsa – whatever you want! Can be made as a side dish for dinner or a side dish for breakfast.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 purple potatoes, scrubbed and poked with a knife
- 4 russet potatoes, scrubbed and poked with a knife
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 4 or more tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Microwave potatoes for 1 minute each (I microwaved the 4 purple potatoes together for 4 minutes and then microwaved the 4 russet potatoes for 4 minutes).
- Remove from microwave and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the rest of your vegetables by chopping and dicing.
- Cut cooled microwaved potatoes in chunk.
- Make a rainbow on your chopping board with the prepared vegetables (I used the russet potatoes and the diced onions at the top of the rainbow to represent clouds). Of course you can skip this step if you don't have children helping you!
- Pour olive oil into non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add prepared vegetables all at once and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Sauté over medium-high heat for about 10-15 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender but not mush.
- Carefully taste and correct seasoning (salt and pepper).
- Transfer to serving dish and serve with ketchup, sour cream, salsa or whatever you like!
Hope you enjoy!
Do you have other rainbow ideas? Please share your creations in the comments section.
(other posts about St. Patrick’s Day)
- An Irish Blessing (or two)…
- An Irish Lunch: Courgettes with Grape Tomato Salad and Cottage Cheese
- Baloney vs Blarney
- Decorating the Table for a St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
- Easy Shamrocks and Leprechaun Centerpiece
- Leprechaun Bagels
- Sweet and Spicy Leprechaun Cheese Spread
- The Gift from the Leprechauns of Blarney Castle
- The Leprechaun Cake Wreck Caper
- The Luck of the Irish