Are you tired of Sweetheart Turkey Meatball posts? Well, I hope not because here is yet another – Mini Sweetheart Meatloaf Sandwiches!
I made a boat load of Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs the other day. 34 to be exact. And while my family only consists of me and Charlie 90% of the time, I had a plan. A plan to make endless recipes out of my adorable meatballs and I couldn’t skip making them into Mini Sweetheart Meatloaf Sandwiches!
These delicious yummy bites (actually, they are about 2 bites) are served cold. So, after you’ve made your boat load of Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs, you can plop them in the refrigerator or the freezer and make Mini Sweetheart Meatloaf Sandwiches another day.
Your kids will love them and they would be easy to pack in your child’s lunch box. They will be the envy of every child at school!
Or better yet, if you are having a Valentine’s Day party or a Valentine’s Day Tea, these are the perfect, make-ahead sandwich. Make the Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs a few days ahead (they only get better and better everyday – the savory, delicious flavors blend together with each passing day) and refrigerate them.
Cut out the white bread into heart shapes and store in a plastic bag or sealed plastic container (don’t refrigerate the bread – it will sap the moisture right out of the bread and you want your bread fresh tasting and soft). If you are worried about what to do with all the wasted sandwich bread from cutting out these little hearts, well, you can always save it in your freezer to feed the Coots!
Then, on the day of your party, slather one slice of bread with mayonnaise and the other slice of bread with ketchup, top each with cold Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs, skewer with a long, red, frilled toothpick to hold them together and voila’, Mini Sweetheart Meatloaf Sandwiches for a crowd!
Trust me – your guests will go crazy for these Mini Sweetheart Meatloaf Sandwiches!
Or, you can do what Charlie and I did – have several for lunch – 3 is about the size of a normal meatloaf sandwich. Also, you can put whatever condiments you want on them. My favorite is mayo and ketchup, but you could add Dijon mustard, regular yellow mustard or barbecue sauce. Whatever a meatloaf sandwich is for you.
Here’s a collage to pin to your Pinterest board. Thanks for sharing!
And, here’s the recipe for Mini Sweetheart Meatloaf Sandwiches:
- 12 slices of favorite white sandwich bread
- 6 Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs
- 6 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 6 teaspoons ketchup
- 6 long, red, frilled toothpicks
- Make Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs; save 6 for this recipe and refrigerate them overnight.
- When ready to serve sandwiches, make heart-shaped bread by using a 2¼" x 2¼" heart-shaped cookie cutter: cut a heart out of the center of each slice of bread; save leftover bread for another use OR to feed birds or American Coots.
- Spread 6 heart-shaped slices of bread with mayonnaise.
- Spread the other 6 heart-shaped slices of bread with ketchup.
- Place a cold Sweetheart Turkey Meatball on top of each of the 6 heart-shaped bread with mayonnaise and top with the ketchup slathered bread.
- Insert a toothpick into each, plate and serve.
Here’s the recipe for Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs:
And, here’s a link to the post about American Coots:
And, here’s a bonus recipe – just because – and well, it’s delicious!