What do you serve to fairies on Fairy Festival day? Why Pink Fairy Turkey Roll-ups, of course! Both savory and sweet, these roll-ups will win praises from even the pickiest of eaters and even young boys! I received the highest compliment of praise from Miles, a friend of the Princesses P, at our Fairy Festival picnic for these roll-ups! He said, “Aunt Carole, these are really good!” Such a sweet boy!
They are easy to whip together, too. But, you do need several hours of refrigerator time, so plan accordingly. I made them the night before our Fairy Festival trip, but you could make them the same day as long as you put them in the refrigerator for about 4 hours before slicing and serving. This will ensure that these roll-ups stay in a pinwheel form and not unravel on you as you slice them!
Here’s what you do:
Place cream cheese, mayonnaise and milk in a bowl. Mix together with an electric mixer.
Add strawberry jam and mix until well blended.
Pretty pink cream cheese!
Spread a thin layer of strawberry cream cheese on a flour tortilla. Don’t overload or the strawberry cream cheese will ooze out when you roll it! Also, once you have finished with all four tortillas, you may have leftover strawberry cream cheese. No worries – just place in a storage container, refrigerate and use for your next bagel!
Sprinkle with craisins.
Add four slices of thinly sliced roasted deli turkey, overlapping where needed.
Roll tightly and place in a 9″ x 13″ plate, seam side down. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, transfer to cutting board and slice each log into 9 slices, discarding (or eating!) the ends.
Transfer to serving platter to serve or place in plastic storage container with a lid, separated by sheets of wax paper to transport to your Fairy Festival!
Here’s the recipe:
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup of strawberry or raspberry jam
- 4 10" flour tortillas
- 1 cup craisins
- 1 pound thinly sliced roasted deli turkey
- Place cream cheese, mayonnaise and milk in mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add strawberry jam and beat again with mixer until well blended.
- Lay a flour tortilla on a flat surface and spread approximately ¼ of the mixture on the tortilla (spread cream cheese mixture thin so that it doesn't ooze out when you roll it up!).
- Sprinkle with ¼ cup of craisins.
- Add three to four slices of the deli turkey.
- Roll tightly and place, seam side down, in an appropriately-sized storage dish.
- Repeat until you have made 4 tortillas.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator, transfer to a cooking board and slice each log into 9 pieces discarding both ends of each log.
- Transfer to serving platter and serve.
If your fairy would rather have lavender roll-ups, substitute the strawberry jam for grape, boysenberry or blackberry jam and use regular raisins instead of craisins. Voila’ – Lavender Fairy Turkey roll-ups! Do you have a secret “stand-by” recipe for your child’s special day or event, such as Pink Fairy Turkey Roll-ups? Please share; we’ve love to hear your ideas!
(other Fairy recipes and Fairy Festival posts)