This is one of my mother’s favorite meals and the only way she likes tacos. So, I’m sharing this recipe today in honor of her return home today, after weeks in the hospital and skilled nursing. I love you, Mom!
Chop all your vegetables: I use cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, radishes, cilantro and lime.
- Place tortillas in a microwave safe container and microwave for a few minutes until soft.
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan.
- Sauté shrimp over medium-high heat for about minutes, then reduce the heat to simmer while preparing the rest of the meal (don’t over cook or the shrimp will be tough).
- Place shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa into small serving bowls. I use cereal/soup bowls.
- Have everyone make their own!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
- ½ bunch cilantro, leaves picked and stems removed
- 4 radishes, julienned
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 limes, each cut into 8ths (can substitute lemon)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup favorite salsa
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces frozen pre-cooked mini shrimp
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Prepare your vegetables per list above and set aside on serving platter or individual bowls.
- Place cheese, sour cream and salsa in serving bowls.
- In small skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add frozen shrimp and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to simmer.
- Separate tortillas (to prevent sticking) and place in a microwave safe dish, cover tortillas and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes (depending on your microwave) until hot.
- Transfer shrimp to serving dish.
- Pass tortillas, shrimp and condiments and let everyone build their own tacos.
(other Mexican food recipes)
- 20 Awesome Mexican Recipes for Cinco de Mayo
- Charlie’s Layered Mexican Casserole
- Charlie’s Lite Layered Mexican Casserole
- Easy Homemade Salsa
- Fiesta Coleslaw
- Mexican Caesar Salad
- Mexican Caesar Salad Dressing
- Mexican Corn Salad