This is definitely “adult” chili! It’s pretty spicy – if my husband doesn’t add Tabasco sauce to it (and he adds Tabasco to EVERYTHING), then it’s just right for him! He can take more heat than me, but I’m a wimp. So, I think this is spicy.
Anyway, I’m putting this disclaimer forward, because if you want to make a milder version or a kid-friendly version, decrease the chili powder to 1 tablespoon.
- Add hamburger to the crock pot and crumble with wooden spoon. Cover.
- Turn crock pot to High.
- Set crock pot time to 1 hour.
- This is a picture of the cooked hamburger meat after one hour.
Above picture: yellow onion, red onion and a head of garlic. Chop the onions.
- Choose 3 cloves of garlic from the head of garlic.
- Smash the garlic with the edge of a knife (lay the knife on the garlic clove and give it a whack with the palm of your hand).
- Whacking the garlic with the back of a knife loosens the garlic peels.
- Remove the peels from the garlic.
- Finely dice the garlic.
- Add the onions to the crock pot.
- Mix the garlic and onion with the hamburger meat and cover. Cook on high for another hour, resetting your timer.
- Add the spices to the hamburger mixture.
- Mix well.
- Cooked onions and garlic now mixed with spices.
- Add the canned tomatoes, juice and all!
- Add the Mexican-style chili beans.
- Stir all together.
- Cover and reduce heat to Low and reset timer to 4 hours.
After 4 hours, remove lid and allow chili to cook another hour. This will reduce liquid in the chili and thicken it.
Ready to serve!
Garnish with cheese (this is Monterey Jack), sour cream, cilantro, etc. Enjoy!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 - 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 - 15 ounce cans of Mexican-style chili beans
- Grated cheddar cheese (optional; for garnish)
- Sour cream (optional; for garnish)
- Cilantro (optional; for garnish)
- 1 small white or yellow onion, peeled and chopped (optional; for garnish)
- Add hamburger to crock pot, break up meat, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Add red and yellow onion and garlic, stir, cover and cook on high for another hour.
- Add spices, diced tomatoes and canned chili beans, stir, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 4 hours.
- Remove lid and let cook on low for another hour (this will reduce the liquid and thicken the chili).
- Serve and pass the garnishes.