Well, this Spinach Salad with Brown Sugar Bacon and Candied Black Pepper Pecans recipe is about as decadent as you can get – Brown Sugar Bacon AND Candied Black Pepper Pecans! And, it’s a “keeper” although not very diet-friendly!
It satisfies on so many levels – the freshness of young spinach leaves and mushrooms, the bite of spice from the red onions, the sweet and salty sticky chewiness of bacon, the sweet slightly spicy heat of the Candied Black Pepper Pecans, and the creamy mouth-feel of hard-boiled eggs (did I mention I created this recipe right after Easter to use some of those 36 dyed Easter eggs?).
Here’s what you do:
Make your bacon. Here’s the recipe: Brown Sugar Bacon. Set aside to cool.
Once cooled to the touch, chop your Brown Sugar Bacon into bite-sized chunks. I stacked my pieces of bacon on top of each other and then chopped them all at once! Set aside until ready to assemble salad.
Make your pecans. Here’s the recipe: Candied Black Pepper Pecans. Set aside until ready to assemble salad.
Perfectly chopped hard-boiled eggs every time!
Set aside until ready to assemble salad.
Next, slice your mushrooms.
And, slice the red onion.
Assemble the salad by placing spinach leaves on plate or in salad bowls. Top each with the following: mushrooms, red onion, hard-boiled egg, bacon and pecans.
Drizzle with salad dressing and serve.
Here’s the recipe:
- 8 slices of Brown Sugar Bacon (see separate recipe)
- ½ cup of Candied Black Pepper Pecans (see separate recipe)
- 8 cups of fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
- 6 to 8 fresh whole button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- ½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Hard-boiled Eggs, peeled and diced (see separate recipe)
- 8 tablespoons of favorite sweet salad dressing (I use Newman's Own Cranberry Walnut Dressing)
- Make Brown Sugar Bacon according to recipe.
- Cool and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Make Candied Black Pepper Pecans according to recipe.
- Cool and break apart and set aside.
- Wash and dry spinach leaves, trim long stems and place 2 cups into 4 large individual salad bowls (or one large salad bowl).
- Slice mushrooms and distribute evenly among the 4 individual salad bowls.
- Slice red onion and distribute evenly among the 4 individual salad bowls.
- Peel and dice hard-boiled eggs and distribute evenly among the 4 individual salad bowls.
- Add 2 slices of chopped Brown Sugar Bacon to each salad bowl.
- Add ⅛ cup of Candied Black Pepper Pecans to each salad bowl.
- Drizzle salad dressing over each and serve.
You Might Also Like:
34 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Spinach from Helen at Well-Being Secrets
(other salad recipes)