Sweetheart Strawberry Salad with Blushing Berry Dressing is a salad for two! Perfect to share with your honey on Valentine’s Day, it’s made with a homemade blushing pink dressing and adorable mini sweetheart croutons. The perfect way to show someone special how much you care!
Put your Sweetheart Strawberry Salad with Blushing Berry Dressing in a heart-shaped dish, get out 2 forks and share it right from the bowl – kinda like Lady and the Tramp shared their spaghetti from the same plate!
This is actually a ceramic pie plate. I have yet to make a pie in it, but use it as a serving bowl instead.
I sliced a few large strawberries and left the small ones whole. The small strawberries were about the size of the mini sweetheart croutons – about an inch and a quarter.
Here’s a close-up of those adorable mini sweetheart croutons. Easy to make, I just cut them out from regular white bread, placed them on a cookie sheet and broiled them in the oven. After a few minutes, I turned them over, brushed them with a little olive oil, sprinkled them with garlic salt and black pepper, then put them back in the oven to finish browning.
Pine nuts, sliced green onions and mozzarella pearls finish this Sweetheart Strawberry Salad with Blushing Berry Dressing, all on a bed of torn romaine leaves mixed with a bit of baby arugula. Mozzarella “pearls” are just tiny balls all packed together like monkey bread. If you can’t find them, use regular mozzarella – just cut it or tear it into little chunk about a quarter inch in size.
Sweetheart Strawberry Salad with Blushing Berry Dressing is delicious whether served as a main dish salad for lunch or as a side salad with dinner.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 frozen strawberries, defrosted (plus strawberry juice from defrosting)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ orange, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in quarters
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup canola oil
- ⅛ teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 cups romaine leaves, torn
- ½ cup baby arugula
- 2 large strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 5 small strawberries, left whole
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 green onion, sliced (both white and green parts)
- 15 mozzarella pearls (from an 8 ounce bag, this uses about a fifth of the package, so reserve the rest for another use)
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Using a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts from the 2 slices of bread (I had about 15 hearts).
- Transfer to baking sheet and place in preheated oven and watch carefully.
- As soon as they are lightly golden, remove from oven and flip each heart over.
- With a pastry brush, brush with olive oil and dust with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Return to broiler, watch closely and remove from oven when toasted and golden.
- Add all ingredients, except the canola oil and poppy seeds, to a blender.
- Pulse until combined.
- With blender running, remove center part of lid and drizzle in canola oil until emulsified.
- Add poppy seeds and pulse once to combine.
- Taste and correct seasoning (may need a bit more salt and pepper).
- Toss together romaine leaves, arugula, green onions and pine nuts.
- Place in serving container.
- Arrange strawberries and mozzarella pearls over lettuce and top with Sweetheart Croutons.
- Serve with Blushing Berry Dressing.
(other Valentine’s Day posts)
- Sweetheart Pie Crust Cookies
- Sweetheart Maple and Sage Sausage Patties
- Sweetheart Strawberry Crostini