Sweetheart Watermelon and Arugula Salad was born out of my need to use a small watermelon languishing in my refrigerator! Plus, as I’ve mentioned in a few earlier posts, I have this heart-shaped cookie cutter that’s been stashed away in a drawer for 5 years, unused and unloved. And, since February is the month of Love, a heart-shaped salad to go along with all the other heart-shaped food, seemed to be just what cupid ordered!
Making this simple salad couldn’t be easier. Just cut a sweet, juicy watermelon into 1/2 inch slices and use a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
Place a bed of peppery arugula on a salad plate, add the watermelon heart, drizzle with a fruity vinaigrette dressing and voilà – watermelon and arugula transformed into Sweetheart Watermelon and Arugula Salad for your sweetheart!
And, for those picky eaters in your family (translation: your children!), who won’t eat arugula or vinaigrette salad dressings, make them a separate plate of heart-shaped watermelon! Surprise them on Friday (Valentine’s Day) and pack them in their school lunch box!
I know this doesn’t really need a recipe, but just in case you want to print or save the recipe, I’m sharing a printable recipe (lots of “recipes” in that sentence!).
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 small watermelon
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- ¼ cup of Newman's Own Lite Raspberry & Walnut Dressing
- Cut the watermelon in ½ slices and lay each slice flat on a cutting board.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter (mine is 3 inches) and punch out heart.
- Divide arugula on to 4 salad plates.
- Top the arugula with one heart-shaped watermelon cut-out.
- Drizzle with dressing.
I actually served Sweetheart Watermelon and Arugula Salad for breakfast along with my Sweetheart Maple and Sage Sausage Patties – a yummy, delicious and different breakfast combination for your loved ones! Even cupid would approve…
(other posts about Valentine’s Day)
- 42 Shades of Red
- 42 Ways to Say I Love You on Valentine’s Day
- All You Need is Love
- Chocolate-covered Strawberries
- DIY Valentine Bookmarks
- DIY Valentine Heart Plaque and FREE Printables
- Easy Valentine Candy and Cookie Buffet
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Love is Our True Destiny
- Strawberry Cake
- Sweetheart Cream Cheese Spread
- Sweetheart Maple and Sage Sausage Patties
- Sweetheart Pie Crust Cookies