In my recent post, Top 3 Reasons to Have Turkey for Thanksgiving, I share that meals created from turkey leftovers are some of my favorite meals. This Turkey and Avocado Salad with Craisins is also listed on my Top 5 Thanksgiving Turkey Leftovers post as another great way to use turkey leftovers from your Roasted Turkey . With the classic Christmas colors of red, green and white, this salad is an easy and delicious way to herald the start of the holidays plus is beautiful to behold!
Here’s what you do:
- Gather your ingredients for your Turkey and Avocado Salad with Craisins. I forgot to include the salad dressing in this picture, but I use Newman’s Own Lite Cranberry Walnut Dressing.
- If you didn’t buy shelled pistachios, shell them.
- Chop your green onions.
- Cut avocado in half. How perfect and beautiful is this avocado?
- Remove the avocado pit and score the avocado both vertically and horizontally, slicing through to the skin. With a spoon, scoop out the avocado cubes.
- Dice the leftover turkey from your Roasted Turkey into bite-size pieces.
- Place between 1 to 2 cups of field greens in a salad bowl. This is a meal-size (not a side salad), so I’ve used 2 cups in a pasta bowl. Add your pistachios.
- Add your green onions to the salad.
- Add avocado pieces to the salad.
- Add the diced turkey meat to the salad.
- Add Craisins to the Turkey and Avocado Salad.
- Then, add the crumbled Feta cheese and pass the salad dressing. I use Newman’s Own Lite Cranberry Walnut Dressing for this salad, but your favorite will work too!
Here’s the recipe:
- 8 cups of field greens salad mix
- ½ cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 4 green onions, sliced (both white and green parts)
- 1 avocado, pit removed, peeled and diced
- 2 cups of leftover diced turkey meat
- ½ cup of Craisins
- ½ cup of Feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 tablespoons of Newman’s Own Lite Cranberry Walnut Dressing
- Place field greens into 4 individual salad bowls.
- Add to each bowl: ⅛ cup of shelled pistachio nuts, ¼ of the green onions, ¼ of the diced avocado, ½ cup of the diced turkey, ⅛ cup of the Craisins, ⅛ cup of the Feta cheese.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salad dressing to each bowl or pass the bottle and let everyone add their own salad dressing.
(other leftover ideas)
- 3 Amazingly Simple and Delicious Ideas for using leftover Mexican Corn Salad
- Harvest Pumpkin Chili
- Turkey Pull-Apart Pot Pie
- Turkey Sandwich
- Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- Turkey Soup