Creamy Ravioli and Meatball Casserole is a delicious, comforting dinner full of cheesy goodness! An easy recipe with a white sauce base, it is the perfect recipe for a busy day when you are too tired or too harried to spend much time in the kitchen.
This casserole comes together in a few minutes, allowing you to do other things while it’s warming in the oven. You can even make it ahead of time, pop it in the oven (add a few extra minutes cooking time for a refrigerated casserole) and voila, dinner’s ready!
Even though it is fast and easy, this recipe does require that you have a few ingredients on hand. Frozen meatballs and fresh ravioli from the deli section of your grocery store are the key ingredients, plus a white sauce made from scratch. Topped with pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, this casserole takes no time at all to prepare.
To make it even more decadent, add a couple of cans of sliced mushrooms and sprinkle the finish casserole with fresh basil. So easy, cheesy and delicious, Creamy Ravioli and Meatball Casserole is sure to become a family favorite for busy nights.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or non-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup butter, divided
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 18 ounce package (or larger) of deli fresh pre-made cheese ravioli
- 12 ounces of frozen turkey meatballs (about 12 meatballs)
- 2 - 4 ounce cans sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or rub with canola oil.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter.
- To saucepan, add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for a few minutes more.
- Next, add remaining butter to saucepan and melt completely.
- Once butter has melted, add flour and stir, constantly, until well-combined and paste-like; cook for a few minutes more to remove flour taste.
- Add milk all at once, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir, constantly, until sauce has thickened and coats the back of your spoon.
- Add shredded Parmesan cheese and stir until melted and incorporated in to sauce; remove from heat.
- Pour one-third of the sauce mixture into the prepared casserole dish and spread evenly all over the bottom of the pan with the back of your spoon.
- Layer one half of the ravioli over the sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle one-third of the mushrooms (optional) over the ravioli.
- Cut all 12 frozen meatballs in half, and layer half (6 meatballs or 12 halves) over the mushrooms and ravioli.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over meatballs.
- Repeat this layer one more time: one-third sauce, one-half of ravioli, one-third of mushrooms, the rest of the meatballs, 1 cup of cheese.
- Final layer: remaining sauce, one-third mushrooms, last cup of cheese.
- Bake in pre-heated oven until bubbly and heated through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Add a fresh green salad to round our your meal!
(other casserole recipes)
- Baked Mac & Cheese with a Crunchy Sourdough Topping
- Charlie’s Layered Mexican Casserole
- Easy Chicken Noodle Bake
- Garden Vegetable Tuna Casserole
- Green Goddess Casserole
- Kathy’s 16-Layer Lasagna
- Turkey Pull-Apart Pot Pie