This is my “take” on a popular salad. Strawberries and blackberries meld deliciously with field greens, Feta cheese and walnuts to create a wonderful side salad to any meal. Add chicken and you have lunch or dinner!
We have an English family across the pond. While not actually related to us by blood, they have become very much-loved “family” to us and we miss them terribly! Two years ago, one of them came for a visit and during his stay, I served him this salad. He was “hooked” and thought we should join forces and open a restaurant in England and make this recipe a part of the menu. Pie-in-the-sky dreams, but fun conversations playing “what if.” So, every time I make this salad (which is often during the summer), I think of him and our wonderful visit! Here’s looking at you, Sam!
- Choose fresh strawberries, then wash, trim the leaves and slice.
- Wash the blackberries.
- Chop cooked chicken breasts.
- Start assembling the salad – place a handful of field greens into each bowl. Add blackberries and the sliced strawberries.
- Add chopped chicken.
- Sprinkle each bowl with Feta cheese.
Sprinkle each bowl with chopped walnuts. Pass the Raspberry Walnut Salad Dressing so each person can dress their own salad.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, trimmed and sliced
- ½ pint fresh blackberries, washed
- 8 cups field greens salad mix (pre-washed)
- 2 large frozen chicken breast halves (or 4 chicken breast tenders), poached, cooled and chopped (see Poached Chicken Breast Tenders recipe)
- ¼ cup Feta cheese, divided
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped, divided
- Newman's Own Lite Raspberry Walnut Salad Dressing
- Make chicken per Poached Chicken Breast Tenders recipe or use cooked, pre-packaged chicken or a rotisserie chicken.
- When ready to serve, place 4 salad bowls in freezer to cool for 15 minutes.
- While salad bowls are chilling, chop chicken into chunks and prepare fruit.
- Remove salad bowls from freezer and place 2 cups of field greens in each salad bowl.
- Top each bowl with ¼ of the strawberries, blackberries, chicken, Feta and walnuts.
- Pass salad dressing so that everyone can add per their own taste.
Here’s Tiffany’s version on a hot summer day! Blueberries and avocados on romaine…and, Princess Sweetie Pie helping her Mommy eat the salad! Yum! Who says it isn’t kid-friendly?
(other salad recipes)
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Easy Peasy Caprese Salad
- Oriental Chicken Salad
- Poached Chicken Breast Tenders
- Spinach Salad with Brown Sugar Bacon and Candied Black Pepper Pecans
- Steak and Egg Salad
- Taco Salad