My favorite turkey leftover is the classic Turkey Sandwich. Nothing fancy – just these simple ingredients:
- Good bread (I use Oroweat’s Country Potato Bread)
- Lots of mayo
- Delicious and moist turkey slices from a recently Roasted Turkey
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh, crisp iceberg lettuce
That’s it – plain and simple! But then, a few years ago, my 80+year-old cousins, Peggy and Pat, threw me a curve ball. “Don’t you put cranberry sauce on your turkey sandwich?” they queried over one holiday weekend. “Well, no; it’s never crossed my mind!” So, sometimes I eat it their way and it is equally delicious! Just depends on whether or not I want my sandwich a little on the sweet side.
So, here’s what you do:
- Choose 2 slices of your favorite bread. For turkey sandwiches, my choice of bread is Oroweat’s Country Potato Bread.
- Load that baby up with mayo! I LOVE mayo, so I apply it liberally. This is not the time to watch your calories and fat intake. Fresh Turkey Sandwiches are a treat!
- Select one or two slices of turkey breast meat from your leftover Roasted Turkey. Salt and pepper them to taste. Now for Version 2.0, photo 3a: Add slices of jellied cranberry sauce on top of the turkey and before the lettuce. You can use whole-berry cranberry sauce instead – whatever works!
- Add several leaves of crisp iceberg lettuce.
- Add top piece of bread and smash that baby down!
- Slice in half and ready to eat!
Beautiful Turkey Cranberry Sandwich sliced in half and ready to eat with beautiful, sweet red grapes as an accompaniment!
Here’s the recipe:
(I know; you weren’t looking for a printable recipe, but you’re getting it anyway!)
- 2 slices of favorite bread (I use Oroweat's Country Potato Bread)
- 2 (or more) tablespoons mayonnaise
- Several slices of fresh Roasted Turkey breast meat
- Several leaves of fresh, crisp iceberg lettuce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 slices of jellied cranberry sauce or whole-berry cranberry sauce (optional)
- Slather both sides of bread liberally with mayo.
- Add turkey slices to one side of bread.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Add jellied cranberry slices or whole-berry cranberry sauce (optional).
- Add several leaves of iceberg lettuce on top of turkey.
- Add remaining slice of bread, smash down and cut in half.
(other turkey classics)