Looking for a Super Bowl recipe that can be eaten either as an appetizer or a meal itself? BBQ Beef Sliders with Creamy Crunchy Coleslaw is just what you ordered! Made with leftover roast beef (from my Slow Cooker Beef Chuck Roast with Red Wine Gravy recipe), with a little pre-planning, BBQ Beef Sliders with Creamy Crunchy Coleslaw are a snap to make.
Plus, they have a surprise ingredient – Greek yogurt!
Yes, non-fat Greek yogurt replaces half of the mayonnaise in the coleslaw dressing. So, the Creamy Crunchy Coleslaw in this recipe is not only healthier, but has a slight tangy note offsetting the sweetness in both the barbecue sauce in the beef and the coleslaw dressing.
The folks at Chobani reached out to me recently and asked if I’d like to participate in the #MadeWithChobani campaign. Chobani is on a mission to make yogurt a healthy substitution in recipes. Since I love Greek yogurt and use it often in recipes or just eat it plain, I accepted the challenge.
Slightly caramelized red onion with a splash of balsamic vinegar top the barbecue beef, crowned with the creamy crunchy coleslaw. Served on pillowy soft wheat Hawaiian sweet rolls (instead of the original version), each bite of BBQ Beef Sliders with Creamy Crunchy Coleslaw satisfies on many levels.
Not only are they easy to make, but they are a man-pleasing and kid-friendly fun way to serve your family, friends and guests a healthier appetizer, lunch or dinner. And, the best secret of all? No one will notice that you’ve made this recipe “healthier”!
Want proof? Here’s my conversation with my husband, Charlie:
“Charlie, could you tell I made the coleslaw dressing with non-fat Greek yogurt?”
“Nope.” (he’s a man of few words!).
Here’s the recipe:
- ½ cup light Ranch dressing
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup favorite bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 cup leftover beef chuck roast (see Slow Cooker Beef Chuck Roast)
- 8 wheat Hawaiian sweet rolls, sliced in half
- In a large glass or plastic mixing bowl, whisk together the Ranch dressing, light mayonnaise, non-fat Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar and honey.
- Add the shredded cabbage and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to blend flavors.
- Heat canola oil in a small non-stick skillet; add sliced onions and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When translucent and slightly browned, add balsamic vinegar, stir to combine and remove from heat until ready to assemble sliders.
- Shred leftover roast beef using two forks and add to saucepan.
- Add barbecue sauce and stir to combine.
- Heat over low heat until beef is bubbly, stirring frequently.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of BBQ beef on bottom half of each slider dinner roll.
- Top with a few slices of caramelized red onion.
- Add a spoonful of prepared coleslaw, followed by top of dinner roll.
- Serve immediately.
P.S. This is not a sponsored post and I was not compensated to write this post or given free Chobani products. Chobani asked if I’d like to participate and I said “yes!”
(other recipes made with Greek yogurt)