“Well, I have plans to go to my sister-in-law, Lisa’s, ranch. I’ve been trying to get her together with Marguerite, a friend of mine for a couple of YEARS and it’s happening this weekend! They are both ‘horsey’ people and I just know they will like each other. Plus, they have the horse thing in common.”
I asked her if that was the same Lisa where my sister, Samantha, rides horses (another story for another day) and Carole said yes, it is. So, I asked if the Princesses P and I could come along. A quick check by Carole with Lisa and we are set to go!
Lisa lives in a very remote part of our county. I was running late (so what’s new?) and couldn’t meet Carole at her home with Marguerite and her husband, Chuck. So, I tell Carole that I’ll meet them there and I’ll get there as soon as I can. Little did I know that Petunia, our Picking Pilot (the name for my SUV – another story for yet another day), would have a run for her money on the last few miles of road leading to Lisa’s ranch! Thank goodness for four-wheel drive! It is several miles of dirt road, with large pot holes and gulleys of washed out areas, making the ride feel like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland! The girls were already in heaven and the fun had not yet started!!!
By the time we finally arrived, it was lunch time, so we all settled at a picnic table under the roof of Lisa’s barn to share our collective lunches. Finally, it was time to go meet the horses!
- Princess Sweetie Pie meets Sabo!
- Princess P meets Sabo! Not so sure she should stick her hand in there!
- Both Princesses trying to get Sabo to move closer. Where’s a carrot when you need one?
- The Princesses are checking Sabo out and deciding if they can ride him.
- Princess P (right) is telling Princess Sweetie Pie that Sabo is a good and gentle horse to ride.
- Princess Sweetie Pie is giving that some thought. But, she’s NOT convinced! He’s a really big horse!
- Sabo decides to come closer to get his nose scratched.
- The Princesses leading Cali, the pony, from the pasture. Me and Lisa are on the left.
- Look Mom! I’m doing this all by myself!
- We’re almost to the barn!
- Oops! Cali and Princess Sweetie Pie are getting tangled and Princess P calls for help!
Lisa comes to the rescue and leads Cali the rest of the way to the barn.
- Lisa show the Princesses how to clean Cali’s hooves and tells them all about horseshoes!
- Princess P grooms Cali.
- Princess Sweetie Pie gets a turn at grooming too! It’s so hot that Mommy put her hair in a pony tail!
- Mommy help Princess Sweetie Pie with her grooming chores.
- Princess Sweetie Pie announces “I’m done!”
- So, Princess P takes over to finish the job.
Lisa straps Princess P into her helmet while Tiffany straps on Princess Sweetie Pie’s helmet. Princess Sweetie Pie’s not so sure about this helmet thing!
- Lisa instructs Princess P on the finer points of mounting a pony! Just put your foot here, in the stirrup, she tells Princess P!
- Oops! Wrong foot! But, good job holding the saddle horn!
- Now lift this leg over!
- And, up in the saddle for Princess P!
- Princess Sweetie Pie giving Cali a snack!
- Lisa leading Sabo with Princess Sweetie Pie and Tiffany on board. Princess Sweetie Pie got to ride a horse of a different color!
- Princess Sweetie Pie watching from the center of the riding ring and telling her Auntie Carole all about it!
Clockwise from top left: Marguerite leading Princess P on Cali; Princess P getting her “sea legs” on Cali; Chuck leading Princess P on Cali; Princess P tall in the saddle!
We had so much fun, we went back the next day! Here’s the road to Lisa’s:
Paved road to Lisa’s – dirt road right around the corner!
Lisa giving Princess P instructions. Listen up!
Princess P tall in the saddle again, but with pink cowboy boots!
Me and my friend, April, on some of Lisa’s other horses – Cali & Justin.
All done riding! That was so much fun!
Princess P grooms Cali after the long, hot ride!
Auntie Samantha grooms Sabo.
Princess Sweetie Pie rides a horse of a different color!
- Princess Sweetie Pie flirting with the boys!
- I’m going to go crazy! Do you want to come along?
- See that over there? Don’t point; I don’t want Mommy to know what we are going to do!
- I promise it will be fun!
- Run faster!
- I’m catching up!
- I’m passing you! See Mona Lisa smiling in the dirt in the lower right? Princess Sweetie Pie’s guardian angel!
- Dust in the wind!