This easy Hot Apple Cider with Mulling Spices recipe is made in a slow-cooker! So you can fix it and forget it! In addition, it makes plenty for a crowd. The soothing hot cider liquid with the fragrant mulled spices makes for a wonderful combination of satisfying flavors on a cold winter day.
Since this serves a crowd, it’s a delicious alternative to alcoholic drinks during football season. Did I mention that kids love it too? All you have to tell them is that it’s apple juice and I bet they’ll try it! That’s what we told the Princess P (she’s 5 years old) and she absolutely loved it and went back for seconds! I served this recipe as the “featured drink” at my Easy Appetizer Party for a Crowd just before Christmas Eve. As an alterative to soda (and having half empty cans lying around unfinished), this simple recipe adds a festive note to any winter celebration.
Here’s the recipe:
- Kitchen Twine
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 6 whole cinnamon sticks
- 24 whole cloves
- 24 whole allspice berries
- 1 whole orange peel (reserve orange pulp for another use)
- 1 whole lemon peel (reserve lemon pulp for another use)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- Place cheesecloth square on a clean surface.
- Cut 12" piece of kitchen twine and set aside.
- Place cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel and lemon peel in the middle of the cheese cloth.
- Gather corners of cheese cloth together, twist and tie securely with kitchen twine.
- Pour apple cider into slow cooker.
- Add maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Tie the other end of the mulled spice bundle's twine to the slow cooker's handle.
- Place the mulled spice bundle into the slow cooker and submerge.
- Turn slow cooker on high and simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove mulled spice bundle and serve.