Remember, I promised ways to use up my Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs? Sweetheart Italian Meatball Heroes make an easy lunch or dinner, now that you’ve done all that work to make the Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs and the Fire Roasted Slow Cooker Arrabbiata Sauce!
If you plan this right, you can have multiple meals leading up to Valentine’s Day with just a little bit of effort on one day. These little yummy meatballs freeze well and they reheat quickly in the microwave once defrosted.
We had these little gems for lunch the other day. I toasted Hawaiian Sweet Mini Sub Rolls, which I thought appropriate since I call this recipe Sweetheart Italian Meatball Heroes. I made a quick garlic butter, slathered it lightly on each side of the bread, toasted them in the broiler for a minute, added shredded mozzarella cheese to the bottom halves of each sandwich roll, popped only the bottoms back into the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese.
I placed two meatballs on top of each sandwich half, topped the meatballs with a tablespoon of sauce on each and voila’, lunch was served. Sweetheart Italian Meatball Heroes, Toot Sweet! I love fresh basil, so I added the fresh basil to my sandwich. Charlie prefers just the meat, sauce and cheese. Either way, it is a quick and satisfyingly delicious comfort-food lunch!
I’m sure I could have placed all 4 sandwiches (or more, if you pile them up) on this adorable platter, but I didn’t want to cover up the “eat your heart out.”
I also have a couple of these cute little pink heart-shaped plates. These Sweetheart Italian Meatball Heroes fit perfectly on them! Sorry, but I can’t remember where I got them (because I’ve had them for a couple of years now), but I’m guessing the grocery store. My local grocery store always has cute, seasonal things for sale.
Here’s a collage to pin to your Pinterest board…thanks for sharing!
Here’s the recipe for Sweetheart Italian Meatball Heroes:
- 4 Hawaiian Sweet Mini Sub Rolls
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese OR 4 slices of sandwich-size Mozzarella cheese
- 8 Sweetheart Turkey Meatballs
- ½ cup Fire Roasted Slow Cooker Arrabbiata Sauce OR your favorite bottled pasta sauce
- Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Place butter and garlic powder in a microwave safe dish and microwave for a few seconds until butter is melted; stir to combine garlic powder into melted butter.
- Brush butter on the inside of each piece of mini sub roll and place on cookie sheet, buttered side up.
- Broil in oven for a few minutes until lightly brown and toasty.
- Remove from oven and transfer mini sub tops to serving plates.
- Divide Mozzarella cheese among the 4 bottoms of the mini sub rolls and place back under the broiler until cheese melts (watch them closely; don't let them burn!).
- Remove from oven and place on serving plates beside the mini sub roll tops.
- In the meantime, heat sauce in microwave-safe dish in microwave for a few minutes.
- Also, place meatballs in a microwave-safe dish and microwave them, too, for a few minutes.
- Assemble each sandwich by placing 2 meatballs on each sub roll, top each meatball with a tablespoon of sauce, garnish with basil and serve.