Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal with Walnuts is my breakfast of choice on cold winter mornings. Actually, it’s my breakfast of choice throughout the year along with my other breakfast of choice, Weetabix with Yogurt and Berries!
Packed full of “good for you” foods, Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal with Walnuts has the added benefit of a protein punch provided by the addition of vanilla whey protein powder that carries me through until lunchtime, lessening my desire for snacking in between! And, if being a healthy alternative breakfast choice isn’t enough of a lure to try this recipe, Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal with Walnuts is delicious as well!
Here’s what you do:
All the ingredients for my Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal with Walnuts from left to right: vanilla whey protein powder, walnuts, ground flaxseed, ground cinnamon, Coach’s Oats, chia seeds.
I keep these ingredients together in a basket in my kitchen pantry for easy access.
I put the Coach’s Oats in a microwave-safe bowl (I use a pasta bowl because the oatmeal expands and I don’t want a mess in my microwave!) and add water. I have a very low-wattage microwave oven and it takes me 6 minutes to cook it on high. But, with more powerful microwave ovens, adjust the cooking time accordingly! The oatmeal will be slightly runny, but no worries! In the next step, it will thicken up!
After the oatmeal is cooked, add the vanilla whey protein powder, cinnamon, flaxseed and chia seeds.
Stir well to combine thoroughly.
It will be thick and darker in color from the cinnamon.
Next, I select 4 walnuts halves! Yes, only 4! Walnuts are high in calories, but very good for you!
I chop the walnut halves into smaller pieces and sprinkle on top of my oatmeal. Don’t chop them too finely, though! It’s the crunch of the walnuts that combines with the other ingredients that makes this breakfast so satisfyingly delicious!
Sometimes, I’ll add fruit to my Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal with Walnuts. But, my number one choice is to eat the oatmeal by itself and eat the fruit separately on the side!
Then, I add vanilla soy milk to my Vanilla Cinnamon Oatmeal with Walnuts. Not only does this add extra protein, but it enhances the vanilla flavor! Yum!
Here’s the recipe:
- ¼ cup Coach's Oats (if you don't have Coach's Oats, use your favorite oatmeal and follow the directions on the package)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 walnut halves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup vanilla soy milk
- Fresh Fruit: banana, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. (optional)
- Place oatmeal and water in a large (to allow for expansion) microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 4 to 6 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave).
- Remove from microwave and allow to set 1 minute.
- Add vanilla whey protein powder, ground flaxseed, chia seeds and ground cinnamon and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Top with chopped walnuts, fruit (optional) and soy milk.
(other breakfast recipes)
- Black Fig Parfaits
- Brown Sugar Bacon
- Easter Egg Pancakes
- Goldenrod Eggs
- Irish Rainbow Country Potatoes
- Leprechaun Bagels
- Pancetta, Potato and Broccoli Frittata
- The Casa Bella Swedish Pancake Factory
- Weetabix with Yogurt and Berries