This recipe is a hot dip recipe because you serve it, well, hot! I named it Velvety Mushroom Crab Dip instead of Hot Mushroom Crab Dip because I liked the name better plus, it does have a velvety, decadent texture!
If you like mushrooms and you like crab, this is your dip! Since it is so rich, I like to serve it with plain crostini instead of crackers, pita chips or tortilla chips. Personally, I think the strong flavors of my Velvety Mushroom Crab Dip would compete with the flavors in crackers, pita chips or tortilla chips, but if can’t find crostini pre-made in your local grocery store, you could choose one of those items to go with this dip. But, I’d choose one with a “neutral” flavor so that when you bite into this mouthful of goodness, you get the pure pleasure of tasting the creaminess of the cream cheese, the savory mushrooms and the delicate sweetness of the lump crab meat.
I created this recipe probably 15 years ago. I was having a Christmas party and I didn’t want to serve the usual dips. Plus, I wanted something that you could put in a chafing dish and leave it out for several hours while our guests mingled and noshed on it and the other hors d’oeuvres. So, if you are making Velvety Mushroom Crab Dip for a crowd, I would do two things:
- double this recipe (because there won’t be any left)
- keep it warm by putting it in a chafing dish, fondue pot or crock pot (on low heat)
It’s so easy to make – it takes just a few minutes. If you keep a can of lump crab meat in your pantry, have butter, cream cheese and sliced mushrooms in your refrigerator, you have the ingredients on hand for any drop-by, unexpected guests! The hardest thing you have to do is chop up the mushrooms. Even if you buy them pre-sliced, you need to give them a bit of a rough chop.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 ounces (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms (1/2 of a pre-sliced 8 ounce package), roughly chopped (reserved 3 to 5 pieces of sliced mushroom for garnish)
- 1 6 ounce can lump crab meat, drained
- 7 ounces prepared crostini from your grocer's bakery
- Melt butter, over medium heat, in a saucepan.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat until mushrooms are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Remove reserved pieces of sliced mushroom (for garnish) from saucepan and set aside.
- Add cream cheese to mushroom and butter mixture in saucepan, reduce heat to low, stirring until cream cheese is melted (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add crab meat, stirring to combine and heat through (about another 2 to 3 minutes).
- Transfer to a chafing dish, fondue pot or crock pot and keep warm on low.
- Top with reserved mushroom slices for garnish.
- Serve with crostini, crackers or chunks of bread.
(other dip recipes)
- Bruschetta Lentil Dip
- Easy Homemade Salsa
- Hot Mexican Corn Dip
- Lady Dip
- Linda’s Cheese Ball
- Lite Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Sweet and Spicy Leprechaun Cheese Dip
- Sweetheart Cream Cheese Spread